The Health Economics and Epidemiology Research Office (HE2RO) of the University of the Witwatersrand seeks a dynamic, enthusiastic, and self-motivated Deputy Director of Operations with excellent organization, communication, and problem-solving skills to provide senior managerial and administrative oversight for the division in all areas, including grant management, finance, HR, IT, facilities, and maintenance.
Responsibilities and Duties
Ensure organizational effectiveness of finance, HR, IT, facilities and maintenance of the unit
• Managing and overseeing of division budgeting, forecasting, expenditure tracking, accounts payable, payroll, procurement and reporting
• Manage a large portfolio of grants ensuring compliance, reporting and financial deliverables are met timeously
• Provide strategic direction, budget proposals and development oversight for new grant funding opportunities
• Contract management and compliance
• Lead and manage the administrative team in supporting the day to day operations of the division
• Work with all levels of staff to facilitate HR support and management
• Effective participation in senior leadership team, as requested by the division director and other directors
• Manage senior level internal and external stakeholder relationships including Wits Health Consortium and divisions as well as international and local donors and government departments
• Perform other tasks and contribute to organizational management as needed.
At least an Honors or Master’s degree in social science, public health, finance, or business administration
• Minimum 5 years working experience in a health-related research environment at a senior management level
• Minimum 5 years’ experience managing and overseeing grant funded programs (preferably U.S. government grant management experience)
• Advanced skills in MS Office programs, particularly in Excel, Word, and Powerpoint
• Able to set priorities, handle multiple tasks simultaneously, with an outstanding level of attention to detail, and synthesize a broad range of information in a fast paced environment
• Strong management and leadership qualities and interpersonal skills, able to resolve conflicting priorities
• Excellent command of English language (both written and spoken), able to present confidently and prepare reports of highest quality
• Self-motivated, able to work independently and as part of a multidisciplinary team.
• If not a South Africa citizen, eligible for a work permit in South Africa.
The position is based at HE²RO’s head office in Johannesburg but may require travel within sub-Saharan Africa and possibly globally. Overtime/weekend hours will be required from time to time. This is a full time position.
Applicants should email a cover letter and CV to [email protected] HE²RO will only respond to short listed candidates. The closing date for this position is 31st May 2019. Candidates who have not been contacted within two weeks of the closing date can consider their applications unsuccessful. HE²RO reserves the right not to fill this position should it deem it necessary not to. This position will remain open until filled.
|HE2RO’s head office in Johannesburg|
|Detailed Job description|
Receive newsletters and keep up to date with developments at HE2RO.