The Health Economics and Epidemiology Research Office (HE2RO), a collaboration between the University of the Witwatersrand in South Africa and Boston University in the United States, is an internationally recognized health research group focusing on HIV, tuberculosis, primary healthcare, non-communicable diseases, and other areas of public health. Our staff includes epidemiologists, health economists, and data analysts who use primary data and modeling to answer questions of critical importance for the delivery of healthcare in South Africa and elsewhere. Since 2010, HE2RO has grown rapidly, with a six-fold increase in personnel to the current 60 research and administrative staff and a ten-fold increase in grant funding to a budget of more than R35 million ($2.5 million)/year. We are now seeking a senior researcher and manager to provide leadership to the organization as its Division Director, reporting to the Division Heads.
Responsibilities and Duties
Responsibilities: We anticipate that the Division Director will spend approximately half of his or her time on division leadership. We are seeking an entrepreneurial leader who can raise HE2RO’s profile domestically and internationally and help the organization take advantage of new opportunities. Specific leadership responsibilities will include:
- Providing overall, day-to-day supervision of financial, contract, and human resource management within the structure of the Wits Health Consortium and Wits University.
- Expanding collaborations and partnerships within Wits University and externally.
- Writing grant applications and identifying and securing other funding opportunities.
- Managing donor relations.
- Disseminating HE2RO’s work locally and internationally.
- Participating in meetings of HE2RO’s directors and leadership group.
The Division Director’s remaining time will be allocated to grant-funded research projects in epidemiology, health economics, clinical science, or a related field. These may be projects already underway at HE2RO and/or new projects identified and funded by the Division Director. The position is based at the head office in Parktown, Johannesburg. National and international travel, overtime/weekend hours, and working in rural and under-resourced areas will be required.
Minimum qualifications for this position include:
- Doctoral (preferred) or master’s degree in a public health, health economics, or medical field.
- Expertise and a documented record of accomplishments in research on health systems, health economics, epidemiology, and/or infectious diseases, including peer-reviewed publications and grants.
- Successful experience managing organizations or programs at a senior level.
- Broad knowledge of the health sector in South Africa.
- Experience in raising and managing donor funds.
- A vision for a dynamic, relevant, internationally acclaimed health research organization to meet the challenges of the coming decades.
- Knowledge of the university sector in South Africa or internationally is preferred.
|Closing Date||15 March 2017|
|Detailed Job description|
Receive newsletters and keep up to date with developments at HE2RO.