The Health Economics and Epidemiology Research Office (HE2RO) of the University of the Witwatersrand, based in Parktown, Johannesburg, is an internationally recognized health research group with a focus on HIV and tuberculosis. We seek a dynamic, enthusiastic and self-motivated research associate to be part of our research portfolio. Successful applicants will be part of a team of researchers working on cutting edge public health research questions that contribute to the evidence-base for improving access to, and delivery of health services for HIV, TB and other health challenges.
This position will be based at the HE2RO office in Parktown, Johannesburg, but may require travel within South Africa. Overtime/weekend hours and working in rural areas and/or under-resourced settings will be required from time to time. This is a full time, permanent position.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Provide general support to senior research staff for all study initiation activities including:
- Conduct literature reviews,
- Prepare study protocol and standard operating procedures,
- Development of data collection instruments,
- Training of study staff,
- Study site assessments and site preparation, and
- Liaising with local ethics committees for study approval.
- Coordinate communication with study stakeholders.
- Contribute to data collection activities, either through oversite of interviewing staff or independently performing the data collection activities, which may include:
- Survey interviews,
- Qualitative interviewing (in-depth interviews, semi-structured interviews, focus group discussions), or
- Cost data collection.
- Work with research staff to monitor and ensure data collection, capture and management, including data cleaning.
- Contribute to monitoring of study progress through drafting of reports.
- Ensure that study protocol is followed and that procedures are consistently and accurately maintained.
- Assist with analysis of study data, which may include:
- Transcribing notes and audio tapes from qualitative interviews/discussions,
- Coding and analysis of qualitative data,
- Producing preliminary descriptive results using data / statistical analysis software, and
- Writing results summary reports.
- Assist with preparation of abstracts, manuscripts, and presentation of research findings.
- Assist with preparation of progress and funder reports.
- Previous experience in conducting interviews and qualitative and/or quantitative data collection in research settings.
- Fluency in English and at least one other local language preferred.
- Strong verbal and written English communication skills
- Undergraduate degree in relevant field such as public health, statistics, epidemiology, economics or health economics.
- 1 year research work experience or substantial relevant academic experience.
- Experience in public health, working in low resource settings, and academic research will be advantageous.
- Prior experience with qualitative data analysis is preferred.
- Expertise in a statistical analysis package or aptitude/willingness to learn is a plus.
- Self-motivated, able to work independently, and as part of a multidisciplinary team.
- Able to multitask and make decisions independently.
- Code 8 Drivers license.
|Closing Date||01 January 1970|
|Detailed Job description|
Receive newsletters and keep up to date with developments at HE2RO.