We seek a dynamic, enthusiastic, and self-motivated quantitative senior researcher to be part of our health economics research and implementation science portfolio. This portfolio focuses on the costs, cost-effectiveness, and benefits of healthcare interventions, health financing and health systems, and other priority public health challenges, with opportunities for both primary data collection and mathematical modeling. Successful applicants will develop and lead studies and analyze and publish data that contribute to the evidence base for improving access to and delivery of health care services and population health.
The position is based at HE2RO’s head office in Johannesburg but may require travel primarily within Sub-Saharan Africa, and possibly globally. Overtime/weekend hours and working in rural areas and/or under-resourced circumstances will be required from time to time. This is a full time position.
Applicants should email a cover letter and CV to [email protected]. HE2RO will only respond to short listed candidates. The closing date for this position is 31st October 2019. Candidates who have not been contacted within two weeks of the closing date can consider their applications unsuccessful. HE2RO reserves the right not to fill this position should it deem it necessary not to. This position will remain open until filled.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Implement and oversee all aspects of projects including: 1) developing important policy relevant questions; 2) obtaining ethical approval; 3) writing research protocols and SOPs; 4) developing and designing research tools; 5) coordinating fieldwork (data collection, interviews etc.); 6) monitoring study progress; 7) writing progress reports to stakeholders including networks and funders; 8) training research staff; and 9) conducting data analysis and writing up results.
- Conduct economic evaluations including cost analysis, budget impact analysis, cost-effectiveness analysis and health financing
- Present scientific findings at research conferences, publish in peer-reviewed journals, and disseminate findings to other stakeholders such as research networks, universities/academic institutions, government departments, funders, the community, and media.
- Write research and funding proposals and obtain funding.
- Supervise, manage and train research staff and study teams.
- Perform other tasks and contribute to organizational management as needed.
- Doctoral or master’s degree in health economics or a related quantitative field.
- Minimum 5 years research experience or comparable professional experience.
- Experience implementing independent projects and managing study staff.
- Expertise with data analysis software.
- Expertise in health economics modelling desirable.
- Knowledge of health systems and health financing
- Demonstrated writing and communication skills, with a relevant publications record.
- Self-motivated, able to work independently and as part of a multidisciplinary team.
- If not a South Africa citizen, the candidate should be eligible for a work permit in South Africa.
|The position is based at HE2RO’s head office in Johannesburg but may require travel primarily within Sub-Saharan Africa, and possibly globally.|
|Detailed Job description|
Receive newsletters and keep up to date with developments at HE2RO.