The Health Economics and Epidemiology Research Office (HE2RO) of the University of the Witwatersrand, based in Parktown, Johannesburg, is seeking a dynamic, enthusiastic and self-motivated quantitative senior researcher to be part of our health economics research portfolio. Research in this portfolio focuses on the costs, cost-effectiveness, and benefits of healthcare interventions, particularly those related to HIV and TB. Successful applicants will develop and lead studies and analyze and publish data from research projects on cutting edge public health research questions that contribute to the evidence-base for improving access to and delivery of health services for HIV, TB, and other public health challenges.
The position is based at the head office in Parktown, Johannesburg. National and international travel, overtime/weekend hours, and working in rural and under-resourced areas will be required.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Write research and funding proposals and obtain research funding.
- Implement and oversee all aspects of research projects including: 1) developing important policy relevant questions; 2) obtaining ethical approval; 3) writing research protocols and SOPs; 4) developing and designing research tools; 5) coordinating fieldwork (data collection, interviews etc.); 6) monitoring study progress; 7) writing progress reports to stakeholders including networks and funders; 8) training research staff; 9) conducting data analysis and writing up results.
- Present scientific findings at research conferences and publish in peer-reviewed journals as well as disseminate research findings to universities and others stakeholders such the community, funders and media.
- Perform other tasks and contribute to organisational management as needed.
- Supervise junior research staff and study teams.
- Doctoral or Masters degree in economics or a related quantitative field.
- Minimum 3 to 5 years research experience or comparable professional experience.
- Experience implementing independent projects and managing study staff.
- Expertise with data analysis software.
- Demonstrated writing and communication skills.
- Self-motivated, able to work independently and work as part of a multidisciplinary team.
|Closing Date||31 January 2016|
|Detailed Job description|
Receive newsletters and keep up to date with developments at HE2RO.